- By Niall McCoy
- CASTLEBLAYNEY are chasing a fantastic five in-a-row when they face Carrickmacross in the Monaghan Senior Hurling final in Clontibret on Sunday (4pm).
- ‘Blayney have long been the dominating force in Oriel hurling and have won 18 of the last 22 titles. They are red-hot favourites to add to their haul this weekend.
- The sides already met in the opening group match and in what was a competitive fare, Castleblayney recorded a 1-17 to 1-12 win.
- They followed that up with a comfortable win over Truagh – with a number of young players given their opportunity – to book their place in yet another final.
- A 1-31 to 1-6 round three win over Clontibret showed their standing in the competition.
- From the outset it always looked like it would be a county final between Castleblayney and the winners of the group match between Truagh and Carrick.
- The Gaels have reached the last two finals, but it was Carrick who prevailed on a 1-16 to 1-10 win to book a first final spot since 2005.
- It will take something extraordinary if they can add a first Senior Hurling Championship title since 1975.
Mark Treanor the Monaghan and Castleblayney hurler
Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere
Get the app for the best Gaelic Life experience
No tags for this post.
Posted: 6:00 pm September 10, 2021