Loughgiel and Éire Óg set up Ulster minor hurling clash

Ulster Minor Hurling Tournament semi-finals

Loughgiel 3-18
Lavey 1-6

THREE goals from Jack McCloskey shot reigning champions Loughgiel into Satutrday’s final with a comfortable win over Derry champions Lavey on Saturday at Ballinascreen.

The Shamrock’s now face Éire Óg of Carrickmore after their extra-time win over Bredagh on the back of winning the shield competition.

Lavey started brightly, but as the game went on it was the Antrim champions who stamped their authority on the game.

McCloskey bagged his first goal after a pass from Tiago McGarry and gave goalkeeper Moore no chance.

He added a second and when Lavey’s goal came it was Jack Convery who finished to the net after goalkeeper Christie had saved the initial penalty.

Loughgiel were 2-10 to 1-4 ahead at the break and when McCloskey finished his third goal, midway through the second half, there was only going to be one winner.

Loughgiel: Mark Christie; Ronan McLaughlin, Pearse Patterson, Ashdon McGarry; Tiago McGarry, Ben McGarry (0-2), Preston McGarry; Liam Glackin (0-2), Charlie O’Hagan; Ronan Fitgerald (0-4), Darragh Patterson (0-3), Ryan O’Boyle; Jack McCloskey (3-5), Codai McGarry, Roan McGarry (0-2)
Subs: Ronan Casey for R McGarry, Danny McAuley for D Patterson, Conan McCormick for R O’Boyle, Oisin Connolly for L GLackin, Conan Johnston for B McGarry

Lavey:  Conal Moore; Charlie Mulholland, Ryan McGarvey, John McGurk; Conor Melaugh, Eoin Scullion (0-2), Lorcan Collins; James Sargent (0-3), Charlie Curley; Patrick Birt, Jack Convery (1-0), Ronan Birt; Rian Collins, Conor Downey (0-1), Lorcan McDonnell
Subs: Conal Bradley for C Mulholland, Ger Rafferty for R Birt, Eoin Young for L McDonnell

Referee: James Connors (Donegal)

EXTRA MILE…Carrickmore saw off Bredagh after extra time

Éire Óg 1-15 Bredagh 2-7 AET

ÉIRE Óg Carrickmore needed extra-time to see off Down champions Bredagh in Saturday’s first semi-final in Ballinascreen.

Aidan Woods hit 13 points for the winners who booked their semi-final spot after winning the shield competition.

A goal from Daniel Cunningham had Bredagh in front early in the game and they led 1-2 to 0-3 at half-time.

Woods added points early in the second half as the Carrickmore side got more of a hold in the game.

With the sides level (0-8 to 1-5), Francey Hurson forced the ball to the Bredagh net after ‘keeper Kinney had saved Woods’ penalty.

There was still time for more drama when Rory McCamphill drilled a free to the Éire Óg net to force extra time, 1-9 to 2-6.

It was the Tyrone side who took over, holding Bredagh to a single point and pushing on for victory.

Éire Óg: Kevin Hughes; Cillian Kerr, Cormac McCrystal, Senan Munroe; Darragh McPhillips, Daithi McElhatton (0-1), Michael Coyle; Francie Hurson (1-0), Conn Sweeney; Padraig McCrystal, Shea Munroe, Dylan Devlin; Caolan Martin, Aidan Woods (0-13), Conor Kerr (0-1)
Subs: Oran Keyes for S Munroe, Conan McGarvey for D Devlin, Daire Coney for C Martin, Padraig Gavin for D McPhillips

Bredagh: Daniel Kinney; Thomas McCusker, Cillian O’Brien, Conor Dunne; Sean Doyle, Luke Doran, Sean McCollum, Ben Christie (0-1), John Dougan (0-1); Daniel Cunningham (1-0), Rory McCamphill (1-4), David Legget; Shane O’Connell, Finbarr Blaney (0-1), Odhran Morgan Lyttle
Subs: Mark Guest for S O’Connell, Tomas O’Brien for D Cunningham.

Referee: Alan Nash (Derry)

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere


Gaelic Life is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW